The Spirit of Lawlessness
By Teresa Morris
"But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!" (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
"Walk as children of light ... and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. " (Ephesians 5:8-11)
The apostle Paul told us about a "mystery of lawlessness." (2 Thessalonians 2:7) This spirit of incomprehensible lawlessness seems to be abroad in America and in Europe. The following things have happened in the last two weeks.
In San Diego, California, two hot dog vendors gave free hot dogs and drinks to "Occupy" protesters. But the demonstrators "turned violent, splattering their kiosks with blood and urine." They also spray-painted the carts with graffiti. To make matters worse, the vendors received death threats from protesters.
In London, people have been using the carpet of St. Paul's Cathedral as a latrine. In addition, somebody spray-painted "666" on the cathedral wall.
This isn't violent, like the riots in Rome last October, but it is still a form of lawlessness. In addition, violence and attacking churches can go together. During the riots in Rome, "protesters also stormed into a church, tore a crucifix off the wall and smashed a statue of the Virgin Mary."
The "Occupy" protests are becoming more violent. A protestor threatened to stab a reporter in the throat. Some protesters are putting children into dangerous situations.
There have been reports of rapes and violent crimes in the "Occupy" camps. One protester was shot at a camp in Vermont. Another protester died of a drug overdose. The World Trade Center in Portland, Oregon was attacked by a Molotov cocktail. Police believe that the protesters may be linked to the attack.
A protest in Oakland, California degenerated into "chaos." Protesters smashed windows, spray-painted graffiti, and set trash bins on fire. They also took over an abandoned building. As a result of the riots, 11,000 workers lost wages and the port lost $4 million in revenues.
The current lawlessness is not limited to "Occupy" protesters. At a McDonald's drive-thru, a car with several occupants took over ten minutes to place their order, and the man in the car behind them asked if he could go ahead of them. That escalated into a brawl that left one woman unconscious, having convulsions, with her head bleeding.
Some forms of lawlessness are difficult to understand. For example, an irate bank customer urinated in the teller's drive-thru tube. A teenager knocked a homeless man unconscious while his friends laughed. Somebody posted a video of it online, and it went viral.
Pennsylvania State University fired its football coach because of a sex scandal. Students were upset and they rioted, toppling a television news van and kicking in its windows. They also threw rocks at a photographer. Police in riot gear used pepper spray to control the crowd.
In France, there is a blasphemous play featuring a huge picture of the face of Jesus Christ. During the play, fake human excrement keeps being hurled at the picture, until it is covered with it.
An art museum in New York is launching an exhibit that features a film of a crucifix with ants crawling all over it. It also has a "painting" of the Virgin Mary which has elephant dung on it.
In France, Jews are being persecuted. Walls are being defaced with slogans such as "Death to the Jews." Synagogues are being set on fire. Jews are being beaten up and shot. According to police, in the last 30 days, Paris has had ten to twelve anti-Semitic incidents every day.
This should be a matter of concern for Christians as well as for Jews. Russia and Germany both started out persecuting Jews and wound up persecuting Christians.
In the French play and the New York art exhibit, there is a combination of blasphemy and excrement. That reminds me of what people are doing to St. Paul's Cathedral in London (using it like a latrine, and painting "666" on the walls). What rioters did to that church in Rome reminds me of what Nazis did to some churches in Germany (vandalizing them, tearing crucifixes off the walls, etc.).
The similarities are ominous but not surprising. After all, basic human nature doesn't change. The "Occupy" protests have been marked by outbursts of anti-Semitism. The protest movement has the backing of the American Nazi Party, the Communist Party USA, and some Muslim organizations. All of these groups are anti-Semitic. In addition, Nazis, communists, and Muslim nations all have a historical record of persecuting Christians.
A Marxist professor told Occupy Wall Street that violence can only be avoided if the "1 percent accept the decisions of the 99 percent." (i.e., if society does whatever the protesters tell them to). Since that is not likely to happen, the implication is that violence is unavoidable. This confirms the statement of Frances Fox Piven, a Marxist professor at the City University of New York. She told students to get involved in the protests and be ready for violent street battles and breaking down capitalism.
A Grammy nominee apparently agrees with them. His new album features an "anthem" for Occupy Wall Street with lyrics that include the following statements: "Your blood is our paint" and "Burning your homes."
With such calls for violence, perhaps it is not surprising that three cars were set on fire in a Jewish neighborhood in New York City. In addition, anti-Semitic statements and swastikas were painted on benches and sidewalks. A resident said, "When you drive down the block, it looks like a war zone."
Where will it end?
War has brought turbulence and transformation throughout history. But God and His Word will never change. He is the Rock and Fortress where we can find refuge!
"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?... Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:35, 37)
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
1. "California Hot Dog Vendors Forced to Close Down After Occupiers Splatter Blood, Urine," November 8, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/california-hot-dog-vendors-forced-to-close-down-after-occupiers-splatter-blood-urine
2. "Occupy London Protesters Allegedly Use St. Paul‘s Cathedral Carpet as ’Latrine,’" November 8, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/occupy-london-protesters-allegedly-use-st-pauls-cathedral-carpet-as-latrine
3. "Scope of ‘Occupy’ Violence Stuns Italians," October 16, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/italians-stunned-by-riot-at-occupy-event
4. "Occupy Wall Street Gets More Violent," November 8, 2011. http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/08/morning-bell-occupy-wall-street-gets-more-violent
5. "Local Fox Reporter: Occupy Protestor Threatened to Stab Me in the Throat," October 28, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/local-fox-reporter-occupy-protestor-threatened-to-stab-me-in-throat
6. "Human Shields: D.C. Occupiers Who Used Children to Block Door Also Used Them to Block…Traffic?" November 7, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/d-c-occupiers-use-children-as-human-shields-to-blockade-door-in-violent-scuffle
7. "Occupy Protests Plagued by Reports of Sex Attacks, Violent Crime," November 9, 2011. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/09/rash-sex-attacks-and-violent-crime-breaks-out-at-occupy-protests
8. "Police Respond to Apparent Shooting at Occupy Burlington in Vermont," November 10, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/police-respond-to-apparent-shooting-at-occupy-burlington-in-vermont
9. "Occupy Vancouver Protester Dies of Suspected Drug Overdose," November 6, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/occupy-vancouver-protester-dies-of-suspected-drug-overdose
10. "Police: Occupy Portland May Be Linked to Molotov Cocktail Attack," November 9, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/police-use-of-molotov-cocktail-may-be-linked-to-occupy-portland
11. "Riot Gear and Bonfires: Occupy Oakland Degenerates Into ‘Chaos’ Overnight," November 3, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/riot-gear-and-bonfires-occupy-oakland-degenerates-into-chaos-overnight
12. "Occupy Oakland’s Mayhem and Destruction, November 4, 2011. http://frontpagemag.com/2011/11/04/occupy-oaklands-mayhem-and-destruction/print
13. "Occupy Oakland Shut Down a Port Already Struggling for Survival," November 4, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/occupy-oakland-shut-down-a-port-already-struggling-for-survival
14. "Cookie Monster & Bert Questioned as Cops Charge Sexy Serving Wench in High-Heeled Boot Beating at McDonald’s Drive-Thru," November 7, 2011. http:// www.theblaze.com/stories/cookie-monster-bert-questioned-as-cops-charge-sexy-serving-wench-in-high-heeled-boot-beating-at-mcdonalds-drive-thru
15. "Angry Bank Customer Urinates in Teller’s Drive-Thru Tube," November 7, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/angry-bank-costumer-urinates-in-tellers-drive-thru-tube
16. "Viral Video: Chicago Teen Knocks Out Homeless Man While Friends Laugh," November 7, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/viral-video-chicago-teen-knocks-out-homeless-man-as-friends-laugh
17. "Rioting Penn State Students Topple TV Van & Attack Reporter in Wake of Pattern Firing," November 10, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rioting-penn-state-students-topple-tv-van-attack-reporter-in-wake-of-paterno-firing
18. "French Christians Protest ‘Blasphemous’ Play Where Fake Excrement Is Hurled at Image of Christ," October 29, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/paris-mayor-files-legal-complaint-against-christian-protesters
19. "Gay-Themed Art Exhibit to Include Film Clip of Ants Crawling on a Crucifix," November 9, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gay-themed-art-exhibit-to-include-film-clip-of-ants-crawling-on-a-crucifix
20. "One Day in the Life of a Jew in France [persecution]," November 9, 2011. http://frontpagemag.com/2011/11/09/one-day-in-the-life-of-a-jew-in-france/print
21. "Occupy Wall Street's Anti-Semitism Condemned," October 18, 2011. http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/wall-street-protests-antisemitism/2011/10/18/id/414817
22. "This Is the Comprehensive List of Those Supporting Occupy Wall Street," November 1, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-is-the-comprehensive-list-of-those-supporting-occupy-wall-st
23. "Marxist Professor to Protesters: Violence Only Avoidable if ‘1% Accept the Decisions of the 99%,’" October 31, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/marxist-prof-to-protesters-violence-only-avoidable-if-‘1-accept-the-decisions-of-the-99’
24. VIDEO: "Frances Fox Piven & Fellow Professors Indoctrinating College Students at CUNY To Get Involved and Be Ready For Violent Street Battles & Breaking Down Capitalism," October 7, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/shocking-video-frances-fox-piven-and-fellow-professors-indoctrinating-college-students-at-cuny-to-get-involved-and-be-ready-violent-streets-battles-and-breaking-down-capitalism
25. "Occupy anthem: 'Your blood is our paint,'" November 11, 2011. http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/46045
26. "3 Cars Set on Fire as More Swastikas Turn Up in NYC: ‘Looks Like a War Zone,'" November 11, 2011. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/3-cars-set-on-fire-as-more-swastikas-turn-up-in-brooklyn-looks-like-a-war-zone
Incremental Steps to Dictatorship | Liberty’s Last Stand | Lies for Political Purposes