A Short Guide to Occult Symbols:
"Lucis Trust and their ‘New Age’ Symbol"
by Carl Teichrib
There is…a class of art which speaks a particularly sophisticated language, for it seeks to encapsulate a secret symbolism of forms and structures which are intended to be understood only by the initiated, or by those who have in one way or another developed the sensitivity of the soul to occult truths. This is the hidden art, which speaks a very special language of the spirit. — Fred Gettings, The Occult in the Art, p. 2.
This article is part seven of a multipart series on occult symbolism.
Since 1922, a New York City based occult organization has been working hard to introduce humanity to the philosophies and doctrines of the New Age. Lucis Trust, formerly known as Lucifer Publishing Company, has been the main outlet for the teachings of Alice Bailey (1880-1949), one of the most influential occultists of all time. Founded by Mrs. Bailey herself, the organization helps steer a number of subsidiary groups in the work of "planetary initiation" (some of these groups include the Arcane School, Triangles, and World Goodwill). And their work has been monumental. For more than three quarters of a century, they have been a guiding hand within the greater New Age movement. Not surprisingly, they have played roles at the United Nations and within the present day interfaith movement.
Thoroughly understanding the spiritual and psychological impact of symbols, Lucis Trust has published on their website "A New Age Symbol." Originally designed by Alice Bailey’s husband, Foster Bailey, this symbol is a synthesis of various occult markings and doctrines. On a side note, Foster Bailey, like his wife, had a very profound understanding of the occult significance of Freemasonry. His book, The Spirit of Masonry–published by Lucis Publishing–details the deeply spiritual significance of the Order.
Lucis Trust’s "New Age Symbol" portrays a white symmetrically correct cross inside a blue star, which is superimposed on a yellow triangle. This triangle/star combination is surrounded by gold and bordered by a blue field. Four bars dissect this border.
The Trust’s web page provides a detailed breakdown of this symbol. Using this information, and other Lucis/Theosophical/Masonic/occult material, we will analyze this composite representation of the New Age ideal.
1) The cross: central to the symbol is a symmetrical cross, representing a conscious linkage between all of mankind and the deities of the distant sun Sirius. It is also representative of the on-going work of all solar deities–and in the occult mystery religions was the sign of the "Sun of God," or that supernatural being next in power to the "Supreme God." Indeed, this symbol, understood within its occult interpretation, represents the continued work of "Christ" to bring about the New Age. (Keep in mind, the New Age also uses the term "christ," and while they claim their Christ is the same as the Bible, it is not). More about the work of the New Age Christ will be found at point #5 in this article.
Another meaning ascribed to this simple cross is that it embodies the four basic elements–air, water, earth, fire–and depicts these elements as all coming from a common source. It is the synthesis of left and right, dark and light, good and evil, all dwelling within the "Supreme Deity."
This occult view of the Supreme Deity flies in the face of the True God. Second Corinthians 6:14 reminds us, "…what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" God does not embody both good and evil. How can darkness linger in the light of the true God? Scripture shows that this is impossible. See John 1:5, 8:12, 12:46, Acts 26:18, 2 Corinthians 4:6. There are many more verses attesting to this fact.
2) The golden disk: behind and surrounding the triangle/star combination is a field of gold. Actually, it’s a golden disk, representing the "all inclusive background of our life on this planet." It is the symbolic veiling of the "face of the true spiritual Sun." The golden disk also communicates the evolutionary synthesis between man and the ancient solar manifestations.
3) The yellow triangle: everything within occult symbolism has significance. Therefore, even color has meaning. The yellow within the triangle represents the "buddhic plane," that level of spiritual existence in which the Masters (really demons) have access to our present level of existence. According to Lucis Trust, the triangle is formed "by the three great extra-planetary entities now aiding the Plan for the planet…" These three entities, Lord Buddha, Master Djwhal Khul (who was channeled through Alice Bailey), and the Avatar of Synthesis, all work in harmony with and under the direction of The Christ–the "Sun of God." (Remember, this is the occult interpretation, not mine!)
4) The blue star: in certain schools of occult philosophy, Christ is represented by the five points of the star. Lucis Trust interprets it thus, "This star has been his vehicle in the human family during the entire Piscean era. It has been, and is today, of marvelous potency. The Star is blue because it represents as much of the solar quality to which humanity can respond." Their website also goes on to explain,
Superimposed upon the triangle of new age forces is the five pointed star of the Christ. Humanity today, in mass consciousness, is largely the product of Piscean pressures. Although we are already entering the Aquarian age, the established rhythms of the old era are still dominating humanity as a whole and will do so for what may seem to us a long time. Were the Christ to abandon the old and go all out for the new, the automatic inevitable revolt of the sons of men would crucify us all. The old and the new must merge. The problem is not a fight to kill out the old, but a wise and rightly timed infiltration of the new into the boiling cauldron of our times.
Our symbol, therefore, blends the two eras and rightly pictures the work of the Christ today and the forces he must wield. The point in the centre is the place where the Christ stands. It is the centre of the star, the centre of the triangle, and the centre of the disc of golden light.
From that centre he works, and as he works the cross of the new era emerges. This is the equal-armed cross, reflecting its cosmic archetype, which will in its own right become the cross of humanity in the days to come.
5) The blue border: this blue field symbolizes the divine expression of the deity, it is the "Solar Logos." Occult doctrine teaches that this Solar Logos pervades everything with spiritual power. It allows the earth’s "Logos"–the god of this world–to exist and guide the destiny of our planet. In the world of deep occultism, blue is the color "God" uses to manifest himself to the universe.
6) The bars across the blue border: upon the blue circle border are four bars that cut through, or superimpose themselves, upon the border. These four bars are in direct alignment with the central cross found within the star, and simply act as an extension of this cross. Its meaning, therefore, is exactly the same as the cross. By displaying the cross in the center of this composite symbol, and by having the blue outer edge penetrated by it, it communicates that the solar deity permeates all, holds all, and is all. The conclusion: the solar god is the absolute.
What does this teach us as Christians? First, it is a vivid example of the spiritual battle that rages around us. The gods of old–from Sumeria and Babylon, Egypt, Greece, Rome, and the Nordic regions–are still influencing people today with their ancient Luciferic doctrines, kept and transmitted by the mystery cults and societies of then, and now. It forces us to recognize that we indeed battle against the principalities and powers of this dark world.
Secondly, knowing the tactics and principle elements of the enemy should cause us to remove ourselves from them. By knowing how these elements and tactics are used, we can be alert to their presence and understand the dangers that surround them. Gullibility should be erased.
Thirdly, the occult is drawing millions of new converts to its ranks. Our family and friends may be among those who are involved in this new paganization process. By understanding their doctrines, beliefs—their confusion and the fact that they are seeking "something"–we may be able to present a clear and sound Christian counter approach, done in love and prayer. The apostle Paul took advantage of this very thing. While preaching to the men of Athens he acknowledged that they worshiped many gods, including the "Unknown God." Understanding their spiritual attunement, he was able to address them where they were, and in so doing brought the beautiful message of the Living God to them, offering hope and proclaiming truth.
It is our duty to be salt and light–through the power of Jesus Christ–to the world. As society chases after demonic entities disguised as angels of light (solar deities!), we need to be ready and willing to give an answer for the hope that is within us.
Carl Teichrib is a Canadian based researcher and writer on globalization and the occult. His work has been used by such authors as Gary Kah and Berit Kjos, among others. Carl can be reached by emailing: email@example.com